Monday, September 20, 2010

This might be a distracted blog because the people around me are talking about the recent egg crisis - we need 10 to bake cookies tomorrow to sell and there are only 5. Someone already cried about it today, and our hens must not be in the mood because they sure aren't producing enough. Since coming to Plowshare, it is topics like these that dominate many conversations :)

This week our schedule was beginning to fall into place, though several days started off with me running around trying to find out exactly which house I could have breakfast in or what chores I was supposed to be doing. I'm in a weird position where I don't live in a house with residents so my responsibilities are more scattered and focused on the farm/animals, though I still have a good amount of interaction with the residents. My off days are Sunday/Monday and other free times are Tuesday morning and Saturday evening. Since there are more volunteers than in the past, there are more free times.

This past Thurs-Friday I went to the world fair in Vermont with the Red House residents (the house I'm "attached" to). One of the residents grew up on a dairy farm near the fair and wanted us to meet his family and see his background a bit. And, I'm not going to lie, a big added bonus was eating delicious home-made ice cream and drinking some of the best hot chocolate milk I've ever had :) But seriously, I've been so spoiled on the food front. I had some fries there and for the rest of the car ride I was aching - your body really responds to what you put in it. After not having unhealthy snack food for a while, it took a toll on my body. Now I don't really desire eating that kind of food for a while.

The weather this weekend was so beautiful that I went with some of the volunteers hiking around the farm, laying by a lake, and doing our frequent nighttime pond hang outs. Coming recently from MN, I know I have to take advantage of every outdoor moment before frostbite starts to ATTACK!

I also feel like I'm starting to be friends with some of the residents. Not only is it fun, but it's important to develop connections so that you develop mutual respect and have an easier time understanding each other, particularly when someone clearly isn't in the mood to work or doesn't want to listen to you. I figure that will become easier as time goes on, but here, as much as you can predict (what phrases the residents will say 100x a day, for example), there might be just as many things that you can't. Changing seasons, new environments, a personal crisis, all of that can flick a switch for someone that you just have to ride out with them. Makes me think more about just how many waves of emotions and experiences we all have as individuals, and how beautiful it is that we can still live together on this planet. Everything's harmoniously crazy in a way.

I'll leave you with one of the prayers we sing before eating a meal. Til next time!

"For Sun and Rain,
for Earth and Grain,
for all who toil
on seed and soil
so we may eat
this daily food
We give our love
and thanks, dear God....May the meal be blessed!"

*Devour food*

Love, Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You updated your blog!

    Also yay that it seems like you're starting to settle in to a schedule, and that you're not letting daily drama get to you.

    <3!

    ReplyDelete