Saturday, May 7, 2011

I'm aliiive!

So again, the common theme of posts: I slack on them. But alas, it is finally really spring! The flowers are blooming, the lettuce is harvestable, the peas are showing about an inch above ground, and we will be getting pigs tomorrow (a sign that it's really spring)! I am loving the weather. Yesterday I spent a day with one of the volunteers eating ice cream, walking down a "rails to trails" path in Jaffrey, joy riding down to MA to discover how many lakes and cute recreation towns around them exist, and coming back to the farm to make and decorate some hula hoops (a project I've been meaning to do since I got here). The sheep and lambs are mowing the grass outside our house, and soon our farm will get hundreds of meat chickens (70 we'll keep for eggs) on this new "chicken tractor" system where the farmer will move the chickens around the pasture every few days. Lots of things happening on the farm.

In terms of Plowshare, there's other business buzzing. May is when the school classes come (between 13-20 kids and chaperones) so our workshops adjust to make sure the kids are busy. My houseparents and resident Jenny moved out last weekend and my two volunteer friends (Erin and Natalie) moved into the houseparent role and brought along another resident to take Jenny's room. I'm still adjusting to having my friends become coworkers now (and the potential tensions coming from business becoming closer to relationships) and am bummed we can't all go out anymore together. That's a biggie. But so far things are working out pretty well and I have confidence that with time, things will smooth out.

Then, the first week of June I'll be in CA for my sister Julia's wedding! Should be fun, and Randy Newman's fam will be there! (He's the "You've Got a Friend in Me"/Toy Story singer). Goal of mine: to sing/dance with Randy at the reception...

It's too nice to be inside now, so I think I'll test out my new hula hoops, go for a walk and a nap, and sing some karaoke tonight. Ahh off days, so sweet...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're alive: I was about to send a search party North....

    Be sure to get a video of the songs/dances for posterity.

    ReplyDelete